Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Security Scams by Phone?

What next.

Just had a super dumb call from some computer place trying to convince me my computer was connected to their server and I was downloading viruses and they were getting error messages. The guy can barely speak english, and he tries very hard to convince me they can tell it's my computer because of my computer license. Yeah well, nice try dude.

Not possible since my security systems won't download viruses; besides, I scan every day with Spybot Search & Destroy, a trusted antivirus, and hijack this, and I have a firewall. You don't spend 2 years on a security forum and not learn a thing or two about avoiding virus crap.

Dope. Don't fall for this people...just don't. And tell your friends not to fall for it either.

First, get the company name they work for. If you've never heard of them - don't trust them. No way they're connected to your computer if you don't let them. If they say they're from Microsoft security, trust them EVEN LESS.

IF you're concerned about virus, then run your scans using your own software - if you don't use spybot search & destroy, get it ... and use (it's free). Make sure your antivirus is up to date, use a firewall. Learn how to protect your computer - don't trust some guy calling from god-knows-where and DON'T, DON'T, DON'T them into your computer, and that goes double for giving them any information at all. Just hang up.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the warning man..These people has became shameless nowadays..

    ReplyDelete

Please DO NOT DROP LINKS HERE using monetized URL shorteners or the comments will be marked as spam. DO NOT post links to affiliate sites or links to promote your website. This is a "NO FOLLOW" blog.

If you want help with an actual blog or website, please just post for help in the Adsense forum, or leave your G+ profile link. I will not publish comments with blog/website or channel links.

Thanks.